10.13.2013

Parisian Carnival in New York?


As you probably could tell from my past few posts, my summer in New York was absolutely magical. But believe it or not, one of my favorite things to happen in New York was not very New-Yorkish at all- rather, it was quite Parisian. As you might be able to tell from the first picture of a carousel pony, yes-- I went to a carnival. But this carnival was bit different than most. Over the summer I went to FĂȘte Paradiso, the world's first traveling festival of vintage carnival rides and carousels that takes place on Governer's Island, NYC. The event included an array of attractions from the late 19th to early 20th centuries all from France. It was absolutely dreamlike! With side show performances and Amelie soundtrack music playing in the background, the Fellini-inspired environment was only heightened. Plus, there was a lovely selection of food from the famous French bistro Le Gamin (as well delicious butter and sugar crepes to snack on) I went to this event with my cousin Elinor (who flew in all the way from Israel) and while I wanted to be free to roam, I had to bring my camera along to take a few snaps to share. I hope the following pictures of these one-of-a-kind artisian crafted rides are able to transport you as they did for me.















"An amazing early 20th century Music-Hall Ball Guzzler, a carnival game that features life-size caricatures of Josephine Baker, Charlie Chaplin and other celebrities of the time."




Delicious Nutella and Sugar Crepes!


I've spotted Micky!












One of the only two Bicycle Carousels left in the world from early 20th Century Paris (The only other of it's kind can be seen in the Woody Allen movie "Midnight in Paris")







Dress: Topshop
Shoes: Madewell

No comments:

Post a Comment